Garth George: Sordid little film not worth fuss

first_imgNZ Herald 18 February 2015IT IS no surprise that men and women in their thousands are flocking to see the movie Fifty Shades of Grey, which was released here on Thursday. Or that those who set themselves up as the guardians of our morals are issuing stern warnings and recommending boycotts.… Why this movie, based on a book that has sold by the tens of millions (it returned its author some $77 million in the first year), has caused such a fuss I can’t quite figure. This nation is every day saturated in sexual imagery, staring us in the face wherever we go and whatever we do. The advertising industry in all media, including billboards visible to everybody irrespective of age, unashamedly use sex to sell anything from underwear to perfume to motor vehicles; television, books, magazines and newspapers serve up a regular diet of salacious clad or naked women and men, often in the act of intercourse. Advertisements for Viagra and Cialis and a string of other drugs designed to restore or increase sexual performance regularly crop up on television and in magazines, along with those “Sex for Life” ads we find sprinkled through newspapers day in and day out.… Bob McCoskrie, director of Family First, says: “The premise of the movie is that a woman who is humiliated, abused, controlled, entrapped, coerced, manipulated and tortured is somehow an ’empowered’ woman. And a man who is possessive, controlling, violent, jealous and coercive is somehow showing ‘true love’. “These are foul and dangerous lies. This movie, and the book it is based on, simply glamorises sexual violence and should be rejected by everyone who is concerned about family and sexual violence.” He’s right, of course. But in a land awash with sexual titillation aimed at everybody from little children to the intellectually disabled to the aged, suggesting a sordid movie featuring sexual violence might make matters worse is rather ingenuous. The real damage was done decades ago.http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rotorua-daily-post/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503438&objectid=11401998last_img read more

MLB trade rumors: Giants unlikely to move Madison Bumgarner, could become buyers

first_img MLB trade rumors: Phillies have been ‘in contact with every team that has pitching available’ Will the Giants trade Madison Bumgarner? ‘It’s impossible to say’ “I just figured, until they take (the Giants uniform) away from me, I’m not going to think about it that way,” Bumgarner said about the trade rumors earlier this month. “Mindset is a big thing for me. I feel like that’s a negative light on what we’re trying to do, because we’re trying to win. I’m not focused on whether it’s my last start or not or whether they’re going to decide to make moves or not.”The Giants enter play Thursday 3 1/2 games out of the second National League wild-card spot with a 52-51 record. The Giants’ trade deadline plans may have taken a drastic turn.San Francisco was originally expected to move starter Madison Bumgarner, along with other key pieces, by the end of July. The team, however, is now planning to hold onto Bumgarner as it has won 10 of its last 12 and is back in playoff contention, according to a report from MLB.com, which cites unidentified league sources.center_img Bumgarner holds a 5-7 record with a 3.66 ERA in 22 starts so far this season. The four-time All-Star has spent his entire 11-year MLB career with San Francisco and has won three World Series during his time with the team. The Giants could even become buyers if they continue their hot streak, the report says.”It’s impossible to say what the next (few) days are going to present, both in terms of what our opportunity to contend is going to be and continue to be and what opportunities the market is going to present,” president of baseball operations Farhan Zaidi said this week. Related Newslast_img read more

JOHN DOWNEY: ‘HE IS ADVOCATE FOR PEACE AND SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN CHARGED’

first_imgMr Downey todayCommenting after a court decision ruling that the prosecution of John Downey was an abuse of process and should not continue, Sinn Féin MP Francie Molloy said: “The arrest and charging by the British police of John Downey was a clear breach of commitments given by the British government at Weston Park and in subsequent negotiations.“Following the Good Friday Agreement both the British and Irish governments accepted that the issue of those defined as OTRs was an anomaly and the two governments committed to resolve the issue. “A process was put in place to deal with outstanding cases including that of John Downey. Sinn Féin made it clear from the outset that the decision to prosecute John Downey was the wrong one.“This position has been vindicated by the decision of the judge ruling in John’s favour. John Downey should now be allowed to return home to his family immediately.“Sinn Féin will continue to support John and his family until this happens.”The party said that John Downey is a valued member of Sinn Féin and a long-time advocate of the Peace Process.For over two decades John Downey has been to the fore in promoting the peace process. As a former republican prisoner he has been involved in Cultural Diversity programmes with former loyalist prisoners. And he participated in engagements at Corrymeela with former members of the RUC, Gárdai and Irish Army.JOHN DOWNEY: ‘HE IS ADVOCATE FOR PEACE AND SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN CHARGED’ was last modified: February 25th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:courthyde park bombJohn DowneySinn Feinlast_img read more