Student forced out of Iran

first_imgPolice surveillanceAlongside his daily classes at Tehran University, the student was taking part in the production of a multi-part documentary for the English-language regional television station, Press TV.The student said that he feared that he and his friend were under police surveillance.“From my first day, whenever I tried to make phone calls, I could hear background noise and voices,” he said. “One of my friends, Kamran, was followed by Iranian authorities after he published a range of reformist material. Police stopped him when he was on his way to visit me.”The student said that he had made “repeated trips out of the city”. These are forbidden by Iranian policy on the movement of foreign nationals and may have contributed to his black-listing by authorities.On one occasion, during a visit to an Iranian ski resort, he was turned over to the police after the hotel receptionist discovered he wasn’t carrying his passport.In addition, he suggested that involvement with a number of individuals who were under surveillance for other reasons may also have put him at risk. A number of his colleagues, who were involved in the Press TV project, had been previously employed at independent media offices that had been shut down by the Iranian government for publishing ‘reformist material’, including the popular Salam newspaper.Two of the contacts the student made included an environmental activist and a campaigner for gay and women’s rights.The student said that it was only in the last few weeks of his stay in Iran that his position became untenable. Embassy responseThe student emphasised that Oxford University staff provided him with extensive advice and assistance. He said, “They were extremely helpful, especially as it was early on a Sunday morning.”They directed him to the British Embassy, who are believed to have said they “Had no experience of [the Disciplinary Force]” and therefore strongly advised him to refrain from attending the interview, and to leave the country immediately.The student said that, “On returning home, I was assured by my departmental supervisors that arrangement for the coming term, both in terms of my academic schedule and my financing, would be taken care of  by the University.”However, the student said that he was having problems finding accommodation. He described his college as “unhelpful” in this respect.He said, “I am presently planning to live with a group of Pakistani friends and family, after spotting an advertisement in the window of a halal butcher in Cowley.”When asked about the implications of the incident for other Middle-East language students on their years abroad, he suggested they ought to be “far less trusting” of those people they make contact with overseas.“Be careful of trusting supervisors at the host university,” he said. “Keep your head down; if you’re English and speak Farsi, you’ll attract enough attention as you are. Don’t court any more.” “I lied a lot in the interview”center_img A second-year modern languages student has been forced to abandon his year abroad after being hounded out of Iran by its security services.The student, who wished to remain anonymous, had been resident in Tehran for over six months when he was urged to return to the UK by consular authorities. He said, “A man interrupted a language class that I was in at university and demanded that I answer his questions about my stay in Iran. He asked for a list of all my local friends, their addresses and their phone numbers.He admitted that he “lied a lot” during this interview, giving names of coffee shops and museums which he had never visited, as well as telling his interrogator that nearly all his friends in Tehran were foreign.A few days later, the student was detained again by a large group of men. He said that they were “asking the same questions, but much more forcibly, and using a much greater number of people.”Following this questioning, the student received a letter from the ‘Disciplinary Force of Iran’. His immediate presence was requested at their headquarters in connection with “serious concerns over [his] visa.”last_img read more

Applications open for ‘It Stops Here’ student conference on sexual assault and harassment

first_img Read Full Story Student leaders from across Harvard’s graduate and professional schools will gather in the Barker Center on Saturday, Nov. 5, 2016 for the second “Student Leader Convening on Addressing Sexual Assault and Sexual Harassment at Harvard.” In the wake of the devastating revelations of last year’s AAU Campus Climate Survey on Sexual Assault and Sexual Misconduct, this event is intended as a platform for students engaged in prevention work to discuss strategies, share best practices, and develop collaborations in the service of creating a healthier, safer, more inclusive university environment.Sponsored by the Provost’s Office, the convening will feature small-group strategy sessions, a workshop on orientation sexual assault and harassment training, and a data panel with experts from across the schools.The convening is catered and free to attend. All interested graduate students are invited to apply at https://goo.gl/forms/ZTBFdxF4Z6Dq7LdZ2 last_img read more

Dallas Keuchel news: Braves agree to deal with 2015 AL Cy Young winner

first_imgThe big remaining question, of course, is how much Keuchel will get? He told Yahoo Sports last month he had no intention of caving in on his contract demands now after standing on principle throughout a mostly slow winter for veteran free agents. “Why succumb to teams that think you’re needy and you’re willing to accept a lesser offer than your market value?” Keuchel said. “It’s all relative. If you’re at work and you’re killing your job, 9 to 5 every day, and you get another offer that’s less, why would you accept that offer?”Kimbrel reportedly accepted a three-year, $43 million deal from the Cubs. There has been some question about whether Keuchel would accept a contract that covers only the rest of 2019 and re-enter the market this winter, or whether he was seeking a multi-year deal. Craig Kimbrel rumors: Cubs in agreement on 3-year deal with closer #Braves Agree to Terms with LHP Dallas Keuchel: pic.twitter.com/uT70ISI3J2— Atlanta Braves (@Braves) June 8, 2019The deal is for one-year and $13 million, according to Yahoo Sports.Keuchel deal is for one year, $13 million. Physical is Friday in Atlanta. First start is scheduled for Saturday in Gwinnett.— Tim Brown (@TBrownYahoo) June 7, 2019The Yankees and Cardinals were also rumored to be serious suitors for the 2015 American League Cy Young winner, who had remained unsigned since entering free agency last fall.  Related News Dallas Keuchel rumors: Yankees, Braves favorites to sign Cy Young winnercenter_img Pitching is a key concern for the defending NL East champions as they try to chase down the Phillies. While the bullpen has seemed a more acute need — hence many fans’ desire for a reunion with Kimbrel — Braves starters actually have a slightly worse collective ERA than their relievers (4.38 to 4.25 entering Thursday). Though he hasn’t appeared in a game since last October, Keuchel should provide a boost to an Atlanta rotation that includes two pitchers with ERAs over 6.00 in Kevin Gausmann and Mike Foltynewicz. And that boost could come quickly; his agent Scott Boras said last week that Keuchel has been throwing simulated games and shouldn’t need more than a week to get ready after signing.  There was some hand-wringing among Braves fans when Craig Kimbrel agreed to a deal with the Cubs on Wednesday, but Atlanta has landed the other remaining prize on the free-agent market. The Braves signed Dallas Keuchel, the team announced Friday.last_img read more