Open burn ban in effect for WNC On April 3, the NC Forest Service issued a ban on open burning for all of Western North Carolina, the Citizen-Times reports. Within the city limits of Asheville, the ban includes recreational fires within 100 feet of a structure, including backyard campfires. In Buncombe County, barbecue and fire pits are allowed within 50 feet of a structure but they must be maintained and no larger than 3 feet in diameter and 2 feet high. Grand Canyon National Park is closed Photo from Getty Images After the federal government initially declined requests from park officials to shut down Grand Canyon National park, Interior Secretary David Bernhardt finally approved the park’s request after a county health official said keeping the park open put employees, residents and visitors in danger. The county health official made that call after a lodge employee tested positive for COVID-19. The ban was implemented due to the dry, windy, low-humidity days WNC is experiencing. “With spring wildfire season on us, coupled with the COVID-19 crisis, we don’t need to take any unnecessary chances with the dry weather and fuel conditions that will exist in the western part of our state during the next several days,” state Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler said in a statement. Columbia Sportswear CEO cuts own salary maintaining salary of retail employees “It is a relief to a lot of the people in the park and the community members,” Grand Canyon spokeswoman Joelle Baird told the Associated Press. “We’ve heard from a lot of people being angry and frustrated and uncertain of the direction the Park Service was going.” “Columbia has been in business since 1938 and weathered many storms by keeping our focus on the well-being of consumers, employees and the larger community,” the company said on their website. There’s another positive story coming from the outdoor retail sector. Columbia Sportswear CEO Tim Boyle has announced he cut his own salary to $10,000 while continuing to pay employees their regular salaries, including retail employees working at now-shuttered stores.
Last week, the CFPB announced the issuance of a no-action letter to Upstart Network, Inc., its first under the Bureau’s Project Catalystinitiative. The initiative, which launched in 2012, is intended to encourage consumer-friendly innovation in the financial marketplace. To do this, Project Catalyst is tasked with engaging with the innovator community, participating in initiatives that inform its policy work, and monitoring emerging trends in order to remain forward-looking.CFPB’s Policy Statement on No-Action LettersUnder the Project Catalyst initiative, the CFPB in 2016 finalized a policy statement on no-action letters to reduce potential regulatory uncertainty and enhance compliance in specific circumstances where “a product holds the promise for significant consumer benefit and where there may be uncertainty around how the product fits within an existing regulatory scheme.” For example, the CFPB said the formal no-action policy could be appropriate for new products being developed by innovators in financial technology (fintech) or other startups that involve ground-breaking technology that did not exist, and thus wasn’t contemplated, when existing regulations were first adopted.The Bureau issued the policy statement on no-action letters under its authority in §1021 of the Dodd-Frank Act, which empowers the CFPB to exercise its authorities for the purpose of ensuring that markets for consumer financial products and services operate transparently and efficiently to facilitate access and innovation. See, 12 U.S.C. 5512(b)(1). continue reading » 6SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr
Decatur County Memorial Hospital Leadership Team members Amy Wickens, Executive Director of HR; Cathy Wichman CNO; Sen. Todd Young, Rex McKinney, President and CEO; Catherine Keck, CFO; and Suki Wright, Executive Director of Quality and Compliance.Greensburg, IN — U.S. Senator Todd Young was in Greensburg on Monday at Decatur County Memorial Hospital to congratulate the Hospital on receiving over $698,000 in grant funding for the COVID-19 Telehealth Program. “Telehealth will allow Decatur County to leverage the latest technology to serve more Hoosiers, lower costs, and provide better care,” said Senator Young. “That’s why I was proud to support this dedicated telehealth funding in the CARES Act and I will continue to advocate for even more funding for Indiana.”According to DCMH CEO Rex McKinney, the grant has substantial significance, far beyond the hospital. “The network upgrades to our infrastructure will not only afford our community the ability to access medical care via the Internet and telehealth, but also provide benefits for eLearning opportunities. Our physicians and community have been very receptive to using technology to improve access to care. We are pleased to be able to expand our capabilities in this area.”The grant, awarded from the Federal Communications Commission’s Wireline Competition Bureau, will support:• Remote patient monitoring equipment• A patient telehealth platform• Network upgrades• Tablets, and mobile hotspots to provide a variety of telehealth options, including: o Remote patient visits to reach a wide range of patients o Rehabilitation assessments using telehealth for physical, occupational and speech therapies o Behavioral health services for seniors in individual and group sessions, and o Continuous remote monitoring of patients stable enough to be cared for in the home setting but showing symptoms of COVID-19 infection.DCMH was one out of a select group of hospitals to receive funding to provide health care providers in both urban and rural areas of the country with telehealth services during the coronavirus pandemic. To date, the FCC’s COVID-19 Telehealth Program, which was authorized by the CARES Act, has approved 444 funding applications in 46 states plus Washington, D.C. for a total of $157.64 million in funding.
Sunderland head coach Gus Poyet will not lose any sleep over combative midfielder Lee Cattermole’s inevitable suspension. The 26-year-old will sit out Sunday’s Barclays Premier League clash with Everton at the Stadium of Light after collecting his fifth booking of the campaign in Monday night’s 3-1 win at Crystal Palace. However, Poyet had resigned himself some time ago to the loss of one of his key men simply because of the nature of his game and with Liam Bridcutt ready to step into the fray, he is relaxed about the situation. Press Association Poyet told the Sunderland Echo: “Lee is Lee. It doesn’t bother me. It was going to happen sooner or later, especially in a game like that. “It was a difficult game for the ref with so many fouls and tackles because you’re competing. “Liam has been fine and is waiting. I’ve even been tempted every now and then to play them both together.” Cattermole’s five bookings have come in 10 games this season – it took him 26 last season, although he had earlier received a straight red card for a challenge on former team-mate Ahmed Elmohamady at Hull.
Bayer Leverkusen sporting director Rudi Voller says his club are trying to reach an agreement with Tottenham over the sale of striker Son Heung-min. Spurs have been pursuing West Brom striker Saido Berahino but with their bids failing to persuade Albion to allow their man to leave, Son has emerged as another target. The 23 -year-old South Korean – who scored 17 goals last season – was left out of his side’s Champions League qualifier with Lazio on Wednesday due to illness, but Voller says a move could be in the offing. “There is a request and there are talks. But nothing is done. Son would not have played today anyway, he was sick at the weekend already. At this moment he is our player,” he is quoted as telling Germany TV channel Sky. “I saw many medicals in this business where there was no deal afterwards. “We will try to reach an agreement, but only under our conditions.” Press Association