Trick-Or-Treating Changes And Safety Tips

first_imgFacebookTwitterCopy LinkEmailShare Trick-Or-Treating Changes And Safety TipsOCTOBER 29TH, 2018 AMANDA PORTER INDIANAIt’s no trick. Children in costumes will be flooding the Tri-state the day before Halloween.There’s rain in the forecast for Wednesday so several Halloween plans are taking place tomorrow.Law enforcement wants to make sure families enjoy their Halloween activities and treats without a scare.Trick-or-treaters will be going door-to-door just before dark so drivers beware.“Be vigilant,” says Vanderburgh County sheriff David Wedding.“Make sure you operate with your headlights on and be watchful for the children that may dart in front of your vehicles.”Costumes should be safe.Many towns are scheduled for trick or treating into the night.Safety lights can be added to make sure trick-or-treaters are visible to drivers.“If a costume is too long then it could be a trip hazard,” says Nick Nackery Owner Suzy Blesch.“Or like the all black skin suits. We usually suggest that they not go out by themselves because after dart they become invisible.”Children should trick-or-treat in a neighborhood they are familiar with. Using a cell phone is critical to keep in contact with the family.So it’s important for trick-or-treaters like Evelyn Clements to have a game plan.“I basically just discuss with my parents first the area I will be going around which is just basically around my house,” says Clements.And trick or treat in groups.“Someone who looks a little suspicious we try to cross the sidewalk or just try not to make eye contact and just stay away as much as you can,” says Clements.Dark residences should be avoided.“Make sure when you are trick-or-treating you go up to homes that are welcoming to kids where they are well lit, doors are open, and they look people friendly,” says Sheriff Wedding.“People that may be on the sexual offender registry list they have been instructed to keep their houses dark.”Sheriff wedding also recommends checking bags for unopened candy and examining the treats before your child starts eating.Evansville Mayor Lloyd Winnecke recommends trick-or-treating take place Tuesday.Indiana:Jasper Tuesday 6-8 p.m.Chandler Tuesday 4-8 p.m.Newburgh Tuesday 4-8 p.m.Elberfield Tuesday 4-9 p.m.Birdseye 6-8 p.m.Holland 6-8 p.m.Kentucky:Henderson, Owensboro, Daviess, Sebree, Clay, Dixon, Wheatcroft trick-or-treating will be held Tuesday.Madisonville Tuesday 4-8 p.m.Dawson Springs Tuesday 4-7 p.m.Central City Tuesday 3-5 p.m.Sturgis Tuesday 3-7 p.m. with a block party from 5 to 7 p.m.last_img read more

Rio Tinto to close New Zealand smelter, 1,000 jobs to go

first_imgIt said it would wind down operations over the next 14 months.Rio Tinto Aluminium chief executive Alf Barrios said the firm recognized the decision would have a significant impact on employees and the local community.NZAS is a joint venture between Rio Tinto and Sumitomo Chemical Company of Japan that employs around 1,000 people directly and accounts for a further 1,600 indirect jobs in the area. Rio Tinto owns almost 80 percent of the operations while Sumitomo has a 20-percent stake. Anglo-Australian mining giant Rio Tinto announced Thursday it will close its New Zealand smelter with the loss of at least 1,000 jobs, saying the operation is no longer economically viable. New Zealand Aluminium Smelters, the largest employer in the southern New Zealand province of Southland, lost NZ$46 million (US$30 million) last year. A strategic review by Rio Tinto found the factory was no longer viable “due to energy costs that are some of the highest in the industry globally, coupled with a challenging short- to medium-term aluminium outlook”, the company said in a statement.  “It is very unfortunate we could not find a solution with our partners to secure a power price reduction aimed at making NZAS a financially viable business,” Barrios said. “We will therefore terminate the power contract and move to close the operation.”The smelter is New Zealand’s largest electricity user, accounting for about 13 percent of the country’s entire output.It has faced difficulties before and received a NZ$30 million ($20 million) government bailout in 2013 in return for Rio guaranteeing it would stay open for another four years.The government has since said it would not offer more financial support.Topics :last_img read more

NSA confirm Samson Deen-led National Paralympic Committee to International Paralympic Committee

first_imgThe government of Ghana through the National Sports Authority has confirmed newly elected Samson Deen-led National  Paralympic Committee of Ghana to replace the old administration. The ceremony was followed by an official communique to the International Paralympic Committee to officially introduce the new administration led by Samson Deen. The Director-General of the National Sports Authority Prof. Peter Twumasi urged the Samson Deen led NPC-GHANA to work tirelessly to develop and win medals at the  Upcoming Paralympics All African Games and Tokyo Games in 2020.The Director-General on behalf of the government assured of their support and wished the NPC-GHANA well.The President of National Paralympic Committee Mr. Samson Deen also thank government of Ghana for its support and asked for more government support to properly coordinate Paralympic sports development which will help win medals at the All African Games in Morocco and Tokyo 2020 games.The 8 man National Paralympic  Committee elected board has been given a four-term spanning till August 2, 2023, with the mandate of reviving Paralympics in Ghana. Mr. Samson Deen replaced Bishop Cornelius Adja Cofie as the president of the National Paralympic Committee  (NPC) of Ghana at an elective Congress held on July 6, 2019, at the DG Hathriamani Sports Hall of the Accra Sports Stadium to bring the old administration to an end. The full list of Elected officials below: 1. Samson Deen -President 2. Frederick  Lartey -Vice president 3. Mr. Peter Adjei- Secretary-General 4. Mr. Evans Yeboah – Treasurer 5. Mr. Philip Otuo – Executive Member 6. Mr. IBRAHIM Sani – Executive Member 7. Mr. Twum Barimah 8. Mr. Henry Kwaku Nyanteh – Executive Member.last_img read more

Rolle ready to accepts dual career path

first_imgby Michael MarotINDIANAPOLIS (AP)—Safety Myron Rolle figured out the proper balance between football and academics long ago.His priority: Becoming a neurosurgeon after football ends in 10 to 12 years.So could his passion for football wind up ruining the precious hands of a future surgeon? ‘ROLLE’ MODEL —Florida State safety and Rhodes Scholar Myron Rolle waits for for NFL draft. “That’s not something I really worry about,” Rolle said Sunday at the NFL’s annual scouting combine. “When I’m on the football field, I’m a football player. I’m tough, I’m physical, I’m aggressive and I like contact. I want to do some violent things on the field. That’s the total opposite of how you need to be as a neurosurgeon.”Anyone who has walked through an NFL locker room has seen fingers that are, well, bent out of shape.Rolle insists this dual-career path can happen. He has not played football since 2008 because he spent the past year studying as a Rhodes Scholar in England. To stay in shape, Rolle played rugby, then returned to the U.S. in December to start preparing for the NFL draft.Last month, he worked out for scouts at the Senior Bowl and now he’s in Indy trying to wow them with pure athleticism.But Rolle’s outspoken desire for life after football is also creating plenty of questions about his devotion to the sport.“My answer to them (scouts), which is a genuine and truthful answer, is that I think my pursuits academically have helped me in football,” Rolle said. “You learn discipline, you learn time management, you learn structure, you learn organization and as a football player those are obviously valuable assets and traits you can use to be great whether in film studies or on the field.”last_img read more