The Board of Ghana National Paralympic Committee has appointed Kumasi-based Nhyira FM’s Head of Sports and Editor, Bright Kankam Boadu, Ambassador for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.A letter dated January 16, 2020, and signed by Peter Adjei, Secretary-General of the Ghana National Paralympic Committee read: “I have singular honor to inform you that the Board of NPC, Ghana has decided to appoint you as its Ambassador for the games. This offer takes immediate effect.“Your appointment is due to your continuous support and strong passion for the promotion of para sports and related matters in Ghana, demonstrable high sense of integrity and command of respect within the sports fraternity, selfless devotion and service to NPC, its athletes as well as programmes, especially the Tokyo 2020 Games Project.”The broadcaster has over 20 years of experience in the industry, having worked with various media houses.BKB, as he is affectionately known among his peers and followers, started his career at the defunct Fontomfrom TV in 1999 before moving to Ash FM, stopped over at Fox FM and, later, landed at Angel FM, all in a spate of 15 years.His desire to reach the top echelons of broadcasting saw him join The Multimedia Group in 2015 and has since been working with Kumasi-based Nhyira FM. The world-wide event, scheduled to take place in Tokyo, Japan, in August 2020, will see athletes from Ghana, alongside 170 other nations vie for honours in the paralympic discipline.As part of his mandate, Kankam Boadu will champion awareness creation programmes in respect of Ghana’s involvement in the games.He will also lead activities to raise funds to facilitate Ghana’s participation as well as showcase NPC and its athletes before and during games in Tokyo.The sports journalism icon will undertake any other activities that will boost the image of the NPC and its partners.
28 June 2011Final details and tests on the Gautrain route from Johannesburg to Pretoria are under way and the final operating permit could be issued in July, the Railway Safety Regulator said on Friday.“We are in the final phase of assessing all the last outstanding details, and provided that the current system stability tests are successful, we should be in a position to consider the issuing of the final operating permit in the course of July,” the regulator said in a statement.The route from Johannesburg to Pretoria, via Rosebank, Sandton, Midrand and Centurion, was due to open on July 1.Rigorous safety testing“The Gautrain’s Bombela Operating Company (BOC) will have to satisfy the Railway Safety Regulator (RSR) that rigorous safety testing and trial runs have been successfully completed and that all the required safety measures are in place before a safety permit is granted for the Johannesburg to Pretoria route.”The RSR had worked closely with BOC since 2007 on the safe completion of the Gautrain.“All these efforts are aimed at ensuring the rapid rail project operates safely once introduced for commercial operation.”‘Expected snags’The RSR said since the BOC took charge of the system in March to conduct tests there had been some snags.“The RSR observes that as expected with a new system of this magnitude a number of snags emerged during this ‘settling in’ period, which have been systematically addressed by BOC and its partners.”The RSR said the operator had co-operated fully during this phase.Sapa
A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… Tags:#start#startups Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market jolie odell Related Posts Apartment-dwellers, rejoice. Seattle-based startup Buzzeromatic is letting you take control of your own front door in a way that’s smart and flexible.The premise is simple: Using Twilio‘s VoIP API, Buzzeromatic allows subscribers to grant access to visitors, allow delivery folks to leave voice messages,and create passwords for frequent guests, all from a web interface with SMS commands for when users are on the go. And yes, there’s an app for that: The team told us their fully functional iPhone application is in the hopper.Co-founder Andres Krogh told us that he and a friend bootstrapped their startup. “The only reason we’re able to pull it off is because of the explosion of commodity VoIP APIs like Twilio lately that make it somewhat cost effective.”Users can customize their building buzzers’ behavior from the web interface at any time. Krogh explained, “You can set up passwords for folks to let themselves in with, or have it call a bunch of numbers until it finds you (similar to Google Voice), or both. You can also let people leave voicemails at the door, if all else fails.”They feel the password function will be particularly useful for those who have party guests or others, such as family members or a cleaning service, who need to be granted regular access to a user’s apartment.Access can also be narrowed to a particular time of day; for example, your maid’s password would only work during the day, but your pizza delivery guy’s password could grant him access any time between noon and midnight.The service will be free for beta users during the first phases of testing; eventually, Buzzeromatic will operate on a subscription model, with packages starting at $9.95 for unlimited door buzzes and two passwords.So, what do you think, ReadWriteWeb apartment and condo-dwellers? Would you pay ten bucks a month to have that kind of control over your building’s front door? More importantly, what do you think of this team’s idea – will this startup sink or swim? Let us know your thoughts in the comments!
The selectors on Tuesday gave hard- hitting batsman Yuvraj Singh another opportunity to regain his form by persisting with him in the One- Day International squad while omitting the injured Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir and Ishant Sharma.Yuvraj SinghThe selectors, who met in Bangalore, also decided to rest Sachin Tendulkar, Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan and Pragyan Ojha while picking a depleted 14- member squad led by Mahendra Singh Dhoni. The board in a statement said Sehwag, Gambhir and Sharma are “undergoing treatment for minor injuries”, but it did not specify the nature of the injuries.The selectors want them to refresh themselves ahead of the three- Test and five- ODI series against New Zealand beginning early next month and other assignments after that. India have a packed schedule after the New Zealand series, which ends on December 10.India will tour South Africa from December to January for three Tests, five ODIs and a Twenty20 International. The first ODI against Australia will be played on Sunday in Kochi.Murali Vijay, who scored his maiden Test century in the ongoing match against Australia in Bangalore, has been drafted and will most probably open the innings in the absence of Sehwag. Vijay will most probably open with 24- year- old Delhi stroke- maker Shikhar Dhawan, who is yet to play an ODI.Yuvraj, Virat Kohli, the in- form Suresh Raina, Rohit Sharma and Saurabh Tiwary form the middle order. Karnataka pacer R Vinay Kumar has staged a comeback, having made his ODI debut against Zimbabwe in May. He joins Ashish Nehra, Munaf Patel and Praveen Kumar. Dhoni is the only wicket- keeper in the squad.advertisementTHE SQUAD: MS Dhoni ( captain), Murali Vijay, Shikhar Dhawan, Virat Kohli, Suresh Raina, Yuvraj Singh, Saurabh Tiwary, R Ashwin, Praveen Kumar, Ashish Nehra, Munaf Patel, Vinay Kumar, Ravindra Jadeja and Rohit Sharma.
From running from bullies to running the world, Elon Musk has always stayed one step ahead. And the man whose curriculum vitae reads like the greatest hits of the 21st century is no stranger to following his passions, whether they take him into outer space on a SpaceX rocket or across the country in one of his Tesla sedans.Elon Musk Visits Mondays at the MissionCredit/Copyright: Jeremy LoudenbackThis week at a very special edition of Mondays at the Mission, a career and life skills program for homeless teenagers at Union Rescue Mission created and led by Christopher Kai, Musk shared some of his far-flung experiences with the wide-eyed class.Despite his accomplishments, the impresario provided a humble persona, offering insight from his days growing up in South Africa to trying to find a place in the tech world as an aspiring programmer. He urged aspirational entrepreneurs in the audience to reach out to people they admired and put themselves in a position to succeed.“Find your way to those people who inspire you,” Musk said. “If you can, go to where those people will be and meet them.” After exhorting the students to follow their dreams, he answered questions from the group, fielding queries about the possibility of intelligent life in the universe to how he deals with his fears.Written by Jeremy Loudenback
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppNearly six months after the government announced it would spend $10 million on oil spill remediation efforts, petrochemical pollution remains a serious threat to the sensitive marine environment throughout The Bahamas, but particularly at Clifton Bay, environmentalists say.Vanessa Haley-Benjamin, CEO of fast-growing social and environmental movement Save The Bays (STB), said recent complaints from divers visiting the Sir Nicholas Nuttall Coral Reef Sculpture Gardens, who emerged from the water covered in oil, prove that whatever actions have been taken to date have been far from sufficient.“We appreciate the government’s recognition that oil pollution in Clifton Bay is an issue that needs attention,” she said. “Unfortunately, whatever has been done so far has failed to produce timely results.“Details of the remediation plan were not released to the public, so it is difficult to understand why, considering the reported financial commitment, a tangible solution has yet to be found.”The Bahamas Reef Environment Educational Foundation (BREEF) is responsible for the sculpture garden, and executive director Casuarina McKinney-Lambert warned of the devastating impact this pollution is having on living coral reefs, fish and other marine organisms in the area.Haley-Benjamin said: “We wholeheartedly support and second BREEF’s call for increased protection of the reef systems around western New Providence, which are critically important resources, ecologically and commercially speaking, and which have been under severe stress from industrial pollution for years.”The area is vital to the local dive tourism sector, she said, as well as for recreational and commercial fishermen, with the sculpture garden in particular attracting interest from avid divers around the world.Designed as a fusion of art, education, and marine conservation, the garden was created to provide a habitat for fish, corals and other marine organisms, divert snorkelers and divers away from natural reefs and thus providing space for restoration, and serve as an outdoor classroom for environmental education and citizen science.“Quite aside from the dire environmental consequences, the ongoing pollution is threatening tourism revenue and doing untold damage to the country’s reputation abroad,” Haley-Benjamin said. “STB is calling on the government to make this issue a priority and give it the attention it deserves.”According to Dr. Craig Dahlgren, a marine biologist and senior research scientist who studied coral reef ecology in The Bahamas and wider Caribbean for more than 20 years, pollution has already had a devastating effect on Clifton Bay.“In surveys of coral reefs around New Providence conducted in 2011, sites near Clifton were among the lowest in terms of live coral cover, and had seen some of the greatest declines in live coral from previous surveys of reefs off southwest New Providence conducted in 2009,” he said.At some sites, the researched showed this decline to have been as high as 43% in just two years.In addition to coastal pollution, increased temperatures and overfishing have also had an impact. However, Dahlgren said, the sites closest to likely pollution sources were among those with the lowest live coral cover.“It is clear that significant changes are happening to our coral reef resources,” Haley-Benjamin said. “It is imperative that we act now to prevent continued degradation.“We and other concerned environmental groups stand ready to assist the government in identifying the origins of the oil spills and enhancing remediation efforts to accelerate meaningful results.“To the extent that the $10 million plan announced in January may be working, it is clearly not working fast enough.” Related Items:clifton bay, oil pollution, Save The Bays Recommended for you Musical Legend KB’s Latest Save The Bays Release ‘Das What Real Bahamians Do’ Tackles the Silent Tough One, the PSA Environmentalist warns of a third possible Rubis leak Government ‘jumped the gun’ over Rubis leak risks Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp
Heatwave Coincides With Dangerous Ocean Conditions Updated: 6:30 PM July 23, 2018 Sasha Foo, 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – The excessive heat expected to blanket San Diego County this week will likely drive big crowds to the beaches. An ocean swim may sound like a great way to beat the sizzling temperatures, but beach goers should be aware that ocean conditions will be hazardous. The National Weather Service says a large south swell will produce strong rip currents and dangerous swimming conditions for inexperienced swimmers. San Diego lifeguard say swimmers need to be cautious this week and should only be in areas designated for swimming.Because of the unusual conditions, there will be extra lifeguards keeping an eye on things over the next few days. Posted: July 23, 2018 Sasha Foo Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter