Province wide registration system to start for off road vehicles

first_imgTo provide plenty of notice and allow for a smooth transition, the new registration system is currently voluntary for operation on Crown land, but will become mandatory on June 1, 2015.  The combined cost of the number plate and registration fee is $48.Steve Thomson, Minister of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations says “Off-road vehicle registration will help combat vehicle theft as well as promote safe and environmentally responsible use of ORVs in B.C.’s backcountry. Starting voluntary registration now provides ORV owners plenty of opportunity to adjust to the new requirements.”Effective Nov. 17, off-road vehicle owners can obtain a one-time registration for off-road vehicles that is integrated within the pre-existing structure of the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia’s (ICBC) motor vehicle registry. This will reduce implementation costs and allows off road vehicle owners to register at any of the 900-plus ICBC insurance brokers in the province.- Advertisement -These changes, made possible by the passage of the Off-Road Vehicle Act on March 24, 2014, support the Province’s Off Road Vehicle Management Framework. The framework will help British Columbians get out and enjoy the beauty of the province’s backcountry and ensure off-road vehicles, including snowmobiles, are driven in a safe and environmentally responsible manner.To date, the Off-Road Vehicle Management Framework has been implemented in stages. Future regulations will follow that will flesh out ORV rules of operation, safety standards, penalties and conditions of use for awide range of modern ORVs, including snowmobiles, all-terrain vehicles or “quads”, dirt bikes and side-by-sides (e.g., Rhinos and Argos).BACKGROUNDEROff road vehicle registration detailsAdvertisement Why should I register now?There are a number of good reasons to register under the Off-Road Vehicle (ORV) Act now rather than wait for the mandatory date of June 1, 2015:* ORV riders that choose to register now start to benefit from this program earlier.* For example, if your ORV is stolen, a registered vehicle can more easily be tracked back to you as the registered owner.* The ORV number plate is a dual purpose plate — if you register and a get the number plate under the ORV Act, it may also be used for highways crossings if the ORV is also licensed and insured under the Motor Vehicle Act.What information do I need to bring to the broker to register my ORV?Advertisement To demonstrate you are the legal owner of the vehicle, one or more of the following is required:* A New Vehicle Information Statement or a Certificate of Origin if purchased new, but never registered previously.* A Bill of Sale or other document acceptable as a Bill of Sale, such as a Transfer Tax Form (APV9T) signed by seller – Transfer Tax forms are widely available from any Autoplan broker.* A completed B. C. Consumer Taxation Branch Gift of Vehicle Form (FIN 319)* For ORVs imported from the U.S., a Title Certificate; Form 1 or B15 Accounting Document.* For ORVs imported into B.C. from another Canadian jurisdiction, the previous registration documents.* In the absence of the above, a sworn statutory declaration (MV1484) will be required with information about how you came into possession of the off road vehicle and your attempts to get the one or more of theother documentation as described above.If you’re uncertain on what documents you need to register your ORV, contact your local ICBC Autoplan broker who can help figure out which document fits your situation best.last_img read more