Microsoft to provide €10 million in-kind support in Ireland

first_img AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis2 Howard Lake | 15 April 2016 | News  114 total views,  4 views today AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis2 Tagged with: corporate Donated goods Ireland Microsoft Technology Main image: Anton Watman / Shutterstock.com Microsoft in Ireland has announced that it will donate more than €10 million in technology support to charities and non-profit organisations over the next two years.The support from Microsoft, which has nearly 2,000 employees in Ireland, is part of a three-year scheme announced earlier this year that will see Microsoft Philanthropies donate $1 billion of Microsoft Cloud Services to serve non-profits and university researchers over the next three years, according to the Irish Times.Microsoft Ireland says it has already donated €8 million in support to groups, with ISPCC, Enable Ireland, Concern, Jack & Jill and Irish Water Safety all benefitting from the support.center_img “We recognise that charities are playing a pivotal role in supporting and helping some of the most vulnerable people in society. Technology is, in many ways, a charity’s ideal partner – allowing the organisation to run services in previously unimaginable ways and enabling them to do more with limited resources,”said Orla Hogan, Head of Philanthropy and Corporate Communications, Microsoft Ireland.The initiative is intended to help the groups use technology to transform the way they deliver their services.Microsoft Ireland held a Tech4Good event at Smock Alley Theatre in Dublin this week to highlight how charities and non-profits can use technology effectively.  113 total views,  3 views today Microsoft to provide €10 million in-kind support in Ireland About Howard Lake Howard Lake is a digital fundraising entrepreneur. Publisher of UK Fundraising, the world’s first web resource for professional fundraisers, since 1994. Trainer and consultant in digital fundraising. Founder of Fundraising Camp and co-founder of GoodJobs.org.uk. Researching massive growth in giving.last_img read more

Coal baron gets slap on wrist for death of 29 miners

first_imgCharleston, W.Va., April 8 — Many in West Virginia and eastern Kentucky were dismayed when news came that notorious Massey coal baron Don Blankenship would face only a maximum of one year in prison for his role in the Upper Big Branch Mine disaster. Blankenship was not even charged with the murder of the 29 miners, but rather “conspiracy to willfully violate mine health and safety standards.” (more at “Coal Mine Boss found guilty of conspiracy”)Don BlankenshipCritical observers have expressed doubt that he would see any jail time, due to the long history of a lack of punishment for capitalist coal barons who put profit ahead of human well-being. However, Blankenship’s crimes and cavalier attitude toward the lives of workers were so egregious that he was, in fact, sentenced to a full year in prison and forced to pay a $250,000 fine. The federal prosecutor recommended this sentence, which is the maximum possible for this misdemeanor.The day after the verdict, Blankenship’s million-dollar attorneys filed a notice of appeal on his behalf. They say they are confident that the decision will be overturned. Currently, it is not known when he will be required to report to prison.After the verdict, Blankenship told the Charleston Gazette-Mail: “There was no direct evidence I committed a crime. I am not guilty of a crime.” Instead of owning up to his crime and being eternally grateful that he’s getting off easy, Blankenship continues to mock workers and their families.Capitalism: a law for rich, another for poorIt’s a scathing indictment of the capitalist system, and the state that protects it, that a millionaire who killed 29 people was given a mere slap on the wrist while Black and Brown youth are being locked away for decades over minor drug offenses — and when released, cannot get a job due to their record. Blankenship has no such difficulties ahead of him. He has amassed a fortune robbing the working class of the products of their labor. His net worth is rumored to be in the hundreds of millions of dollars. In West Virginia, even in the rare instances where the federal government might consider a criminal coal boss liable, the barons can get away with mass murder if they write a big enough check.Outside the courtroom, the people let Blankenship hear their righteous indignation. “That man has no remorse,” said Tommy Davis, who lost his son, nephew and brother in the explosion.“He’s standing up there, and he’s hugging them people. I don’t hug nothing but a damn tombstone. I hold a picture. I don’t get to hold no grandchildren.”“I miss my family. He hugged his, and all he gets is a year,” local media outlet WSAZ reported Davis as saying. “They need to be stricter, more harsh penalties for people like that who puts greed — money — over human life.”Union member and organizer with the Appalachian Workers Alliance, Ethan Young, commented: “I pray that Blankenship’s cellmate is one of the countless miners who broke his body in those mines and became addicted to pain pills while trying to cope with the painful existence he endured for the profit of the Coal Baron.”That Blankenship is able to walk away from this with his pockets only a little lighter is an indictment of the system, proof that the political establishment and their courts can’t deliver justice for West Virginia’s working class. The only way forward is the seizure of state power and the means of production by the working class. We must build a new system — a democratically planned economy where all property is collectively owned by the working class and all labor is directed at fulfilling people’s needs, instead of making profits for a small minority of millionaires and billionaires.For more on the struggle, follow the Appalachian Workers Alliance blog at bit.ly/1MZ9Mhi, on Facebook at fb.com/appalachianworkersalliance and on Twitter @AWAworkers.Stephen Pearson, an organizer with the Appalachian Workers Alliance, contributed to this article.FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmailPrintMoreShare thisFacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmailPrintMoreShare thislast_img read more

Bike crashes and thefts soar, new figures reveal

first_imgOver 2,000 cyclists have been injured in crashes on Oxford’s roads in the last ten years. New data from the journey planner CycleStreets has shown that city’s main roads are becoming more dangerous.Particularly hazardous areas include Botley Road, Abingdon Road, Woodstock Road, Banbury Road, and Barbelo Road.The figures revealed that there were 2,004 collisions resulting in injuries between 2005 and 2016. These are only the reported collisions, leading to fears the real number is much higher.Labour councillor Louise Upton told the Oxford Mail: “As many collisions go unreported, this already distressing data is likely just the tip of the iceberg. It shows the urgent need to improve Oxford’s cycling infrastructure and, in particular, the need for segregated cycle lanes.”Josh King, a second year Mansfield student, told Cherwell: “A joyful cycle ride in Oxford continues to become more like navigating a minefield blindfolded. With unclear bus lanes, dodgy traffic stops and lack of cycle lanes, and more traffic by the day I now feel myself pondering what it will say in my obituary every time I go to lectures.“The council ought to do more on this issue, segregating cyclists from traffic on all major roads.”Cyclox chairman Simon Hunt encouraged people to sign a new charter to improve safety, which was launched last night. The charter is named after Claudia Comberti, a 31-year-old geography PhD student at Oxford University who died after coming off her bike in Botley Road in May.Crashing is not the only danger cyclists have to fear. Police have told Oxford cyclists to take extra precautions to secure their bikes amid a sharp rise in thefts.According to new figures, reports of bicycles being stolen in the city have soared by 70 per cent in a year. A total of 2,339 reports of bike theft were made to Thames Valley Police from June 2016 to June 2017, an average of six thefts a day.King said: “I feel increasingly unsafe and uncomfortable to lock my bike up on the High Street anymore.”last_img read more

Official: GFA cancel 2019/2020 football season

first_img Tags: Ghana Football AssociationGhana Premier League The Ghana Football Association have announced the cancellation of the 2019/2020 football season.After an over 5 hour long Executive Council meeting on Tuesday, the GFA reached a decision and disclosed the information on their official twitter page.Football in the country has been suspension since March, as part of government’s measures to tackle the coronavirus pandemic.The GFA has been under pressure to provide clarity on the current football season, following the outbreak of the virus.But the country’s football governing body opted to hold on to June 30 before making a decision.The development means that the Ghana Premier League season which had almost reached its halfway point, together with the Division One League and the Women’s League have all been cancelled.No information has however been given on the declaration of champions and whether teams will be relegated at this point. Consequently, Ghana’s representatives for next season’s CAF inter-club competitions are yet to be declared.This is the third year in a row Ghana football has not completed a full season.The 2018 season was half way in when the Anas expose resulted in the cancellation of football in the country.In 2019, the Normalisation Committee did not organise a league campaign, instead organising a special competition to select representatives for Africa.The Executive Council will meet on Thursday, July 9, 2020 to discuss all issues relating to the next football season and Congress.last_img read more