Na Rossa GAA News: A terrific end to the first half and strong second half performance saw Na Rossa register an impressive win against league leaders Red Hughs in Dooey last Friday evening. The visitors started strongly with the first 3 scores of the game from Damian Browne and a pivotal moment in the Match when Na Rossa keeper Patrick Hanlon pulled off a terrific save to prevent the Killgordon men from going 6 points clear.The home side raised their game at that point and 2 brilliantly taken goals and a point from the impressive Conor McCahill gave his team a 3 point lead at the break 2-3 to 0-6.Na Rossa kept up the pressure in the second half scoring 5 points without reply to lead 2-8 to 0-6, and then quick fire goals from Adam Mchugh, Aaron Boyle and a third for man of the match Conor McCahill put the game well out of reach of the visitors.Gerard Breslin replaced Brian Breslin for the home team with only 2 minutes remaining he still managed to score 3 points from play. This victory for Na Rossa puts them up to fourth in the league with games in hand.Final Score: Na Rossa 5-13, Red Hughs 0-8Na Rossa: Patrick Hanlon; Jamie McCready, John McDyre, Daniel Melly; Christian Bonner (0-2), Daryl Devenney, Denis O’Donnell; Eugene Molloy (0-1), Donal Trimble; Brian Breslin, John Paul McCready (0-2,2f), Conor McCahill (3-2); Cormac McHugh, Odhran Molloy (0-1), Conor Bonner. Subs: Adam McHugh (1-1) for O Molloy (19), Conor Melly for D O’Donnell (41), Peter Gallagher for J McCready (57), Gerard Breslin (0-3) for B Breslin (58), Aaron Boyle (1-0) for JP McCready (60).Red Hugh’s: Ciaran Kelly; Pauric McMenamin, Shane McGlinchey, Dillon Irwin, Gerry Melaugh, Shane Gallagher, Cathal Doherty; Damien Browne (0-4,3f), Odhran Doherty; Denim Rowan, Colm Melaugh, James Carlin (0-1); David Gallen, Martin Bonner (0-2), Calvin Bradley (0-1). Subs: Shane Gallen for D Roan (36).Referee: Liam McConigley.GAA NEWS: NA ROSSA DEFEAT LEAGUE LEADERS RED HUGHS was last modified: May 30th, 2016 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:GAANa RossaSport
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppNearly six months after the government announced it would spend $10 million on oil spill remediation efforts, petrochemical pollution remains a serious threat to the sensitive marine environment throughout The Bahamas, but particularly at Clifton Bay, environmentalists say.Vanessa Haley-Benjamin, CEO of fast-growing social and environmental movement Save The Bays (STB), said recent complaints from divers visiting the Sir Nicholas Nuttall Coral Reef Sculpture Gardens, who emerged from the water covered in oil, prove that whatever actions have been taken to date have been far from sufficient.“We appreciate the government’s recognition that oil pollution in Clifton Bay is an issue that needs attention,” she said. “Unfortunately, whatever has been done so far has failed to produce timely results.“Details of the remediation plan were not released to the public, so it is difficult to understand why, considering the reported financial commitment, a tangible solution has yet to be found.”The Bahamas Reef Environment Educational Foundation (BREEF) is responsible for the sculpture garden, and executive director Casuarina McKinney-Lambert warned of the devastating impact this pollution is having on living coral reefs, fish and other marine organisms in the area.Haley-Benjamin said: “We wholeheartedly support and second BREEF’s call for increased protection of the reef systems around western New Providence, which are critically important resources, ecologically and commercially speaking, and which have been under severe stress from industrial pollution for years.”The area is vital to the local dive tourism sector, she said, as well as for recreational and commercial fishermen, with the sculpture garden in particular attracting interest from avid divers around the world.Designed as a fusion of art, education, and marine conservation, the garden was created to provide a habitat for fish, corals and other marine organisms, divert snorkelers and divers away from natural reefs and thus providing space for restoration, and serve as an outdoor classroom for environmental education and citizen science.“Quite aside from the dire environmental consequences, the ongoing pollution is threatening tourism revenue and doing untold damage to the country’s reputation abroad,” Haley-Benjamin said. “STB is calling on the government to make this issue a priority and give it the attention it deserves.”According to Dr. Craig Dahlgren, a marine biologist and senior research scientist who studied coral reef ecology in The Bahamas and wider Caribbean for more than 20 years, pollution has already had a devastating effect on Clifton Bay.“In surveys of coral reefs around New Providence conducted in 2011, sites near Clifton were among the lowest in terms of live coral cover, and had seen some of the greatest declines in live coral from previous surveys of reefs off southwest New Providence conducted in 2009,” he said.At some sites, the researched showed this decline to have been as high as 43% in just two years.In addition to coastal pollution, increased temperatures and overfishing have also had an impact. However, Dahlgren said, the sites closest to likely pollution sources were among those with the lowest live coral cover.“It is clear that significant changes are happening to our coral reef resources,” Haley-Benjamin said. “It is imperative that we act now to prevent continued degradation.“We and other concerned environmental groups stand ready to assist the government in identifying the origins of the oil spills and enhancing remediation efforts to accelerate meaningful results.“To the extent that the $10 million plan announced in January may be working, it is clearly not working fast enough.” Related Items:clifton bay, oil pollution, Save The Bays Recommended for you Musical Legend KB’s Latest Save The Bays Release ‘Das What Real Bahamians Do’ Tackles the Silent Tough One, the PSA Environmentalist warns of a third possible Rubis leak Government ‘jumped the gun’ over Rubis leak risks Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp
KUSI Newsroom July 1, 2019 9-Car train derailed in National City, surrounding streets closed Posted: July 1, 2019 KUSI Newsroom, Updated: 1:26 PM 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsNATIONAL CITY (KUSI) – A freight train derailed early Monday near Naval Base San Diego, damaging a commercial building and some vehicles alongside the rails but causing no reported injuries.At least nine cars on the northbound train, which was empty of cargo, went off the tracks for unknown reasons just west of Interstate 5 in National City about 2 a.m.At least one of the cars struck a building housing CNC Electronics West Inc., a parts supplier in the 1400 block of Tidelands Avenue, leaving cracks on the exterior of the structure. No one was inside the building at the time, and no one on the train was hurt, authorities said.A structural engineer was called in to determine if the damaged building remained structurally sound.The accident also downed several trees, sending them toppling onto unoccupied vehicles in a parking lot at the electronics business.The National Transportation Safety Board will investigate the derailment, which forced closures of stretches of Cleveland Avenue, Tidelands Avenue, 19th Street and 24th Street. Police advised the public to avoid the area of Civic Center Drive at Tidelands Avenue through West 19th Street and Tidelands Avenue.Though firefighters were working to clear the area, ultimately Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway will be responsible for the cleanup, National City Fire Marshal Robert Hernandez said.Officials with the railroad company planned to bring in a large crane to get the derailed freight cars back onto the tracks. They hoped to have the task complete before dark, Hernandez said. Categories: Local San Diego News, Traffic & Accidents FacebookTwitter
NORTHFIELD, VT — Brenden Mark Ross, of Wilmington, was named to the Dean’s List for the Fall 2018 semester at Norwich University.Full-time undergraduate students, who earned a semester grade point average of at least 3.0 and had no failures in the previous Fall or Spring semester are awarded Dean’s List honors.About Norwich UniversityNorwich University is a diversified academic institution that educates traditional-age students and adults in a Corps of Cadets and as civilians. Norwich offers a broad selection of traditional and distance-learning programs culminating in Baccalaureate and Graduate Degrees.Norwich University was founded in 1819 by Captain Alden Partridge of the U.S. Army and is the oldest private military college in the United States of America. Norwich is one of the nation’s six senior military colleges and the birthplace of the Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC).(NOTE: The above announcement is from Norwich University.)Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedWilmington’s Halliday Named To Dean’s List At Norwich UniversityIn “Education”STUDENT SPOTLIGHT: 3 Wilmington Students Named To Dean’s List At Regis CollegeIn “Education”STUDENT SPOTLIGHT: 5 Wilmington Students Named To Dean’s List At University Of MaineIn “Education”
A leader of the Jashore unit of Tarun League, ruling Awami League’s juvenile wing, fell victim to a bomb blast and was also hacked to death in the district town on Sunday night.The deceased, Monirul Islam, 38, is an organising secretary of the AL’s juvenile wing. He was a resident of police line area of the town.Santos Ghosh, 36, an activist of the ruling party’s youth wing Juba League, was also injured in the attack.Police and local people said a group of unidentified people threw bombs at Monirul and Santos in Palbari Mor area of the town around 11:30pm on Sunday night.The attackers also hacked injured Monirul with sharp weapons.After the miscreants fled the scene, local people took the two to Jessore General Hospital.Monirul, according to the physicians, died on his way to the hospital while Santos was admitted to the hospital with serious injuries.Jashore’s Kotwali police station inspector Md Shamsuddoha said, “Miscreants hurled bombs at Monirul and then hacked him to death at Palbari Mor. He might have been killed by his rivals over a power tussle in the area.”Jashore Awami League’s office secretary Mahmud Hasan confirmed to Prothom Alo that Monirul was organising secretary of Awami League’s juvenile wing of the district.According to the party officials, Jashore Awami League is divided into two groups. Local member of parliament Kazi Nabil Ahmed leads one of the factions while the district AL’s general secretary and sadar upazila parishad chairman, Shaheen Chaklader, control the members of another faction. Monirul and Santos, the party officials added, were members of Chaklader-led faction.
A Chinese military official has said that war with the US is a practical reality, signalling Beijing’s preparedness for a possible military conflict with Washington.In a commentary on the official website of People’s Liberation Army, the official at the national defence mobilisation department in the Central Military Commission has said that US rebalancing its strategy in Asia, military deployments in the East and South China Seas and the instillation of a missile defence system in South Korea were hot spots getting closer to ignition.”A war within the president’s term’ or ‘war breaking out tonight’ are not just slogans, they are becoming a practical reality,” South China Morning Post quoted the article.The official People’s Daily said in another commentary on Sunday that China’s military would conduct exercises on the high seas regardless of foreign provocations.China’s sole aircraft carrier Liaoning passed through the narrow Taiwan Strait last month.The tensions between the two countries have been on constant rise after Donald Trump’s election as the US president. He has infuriated China by challenging on the issues of Taiwan and South China Sea.The real estate mogul has contested “One China Policy,” which considers Taiwan as part of mainland. No US government has done that in the last four decades.Trump has openly challenged Beijing’s sovereignty over the energy-rich South China Sea while his predecessor Barack Obama maintained neutrality over the dispute. However, he did send the US warships to the contested waters, citing the freedom of navigation.The commentary referred to remarks by the US secretary of state Rex Tillerson hopeful that the US should stop China’s access to artificial islands it has built in disputed areas of the South China Sea.New White House spokesman Sean Spicer told a press conference that the US would prevent China from taking over territory in international waters in the South China Sea.
Share On Thursday’s edition of Houston Matters: We update you on the weather forecast and the potential for flooding in Greater Houston as Harvey head our way. What’s in store for Greater Houston? We find out by talking to several guests. Jeff Lindner updates us on the latest timeline for landfall and what areas of the region could be hit hardest. Lindner is a meteorologist with the Harris County Flood Control District. Then, some are already comparing the storm to 2001’s Tropical Storm Allison. News 88.7’s Ed Mayberry joins us to draw comparisons. In addition to covering Allison, Mayberry lost his home to the storm.Then, we turn to some experts to tell you how to prepare for Harvey. Lex Friedenadvises those with disabilities how to prepare for the storm. Frieden is a professor at the UTHealth School of Biomedical Informatics and the director of the Independent Living Research Utilization Program at TIRR Memorial Hermann. And then we turn to Dr. Lori Teller with the Meyerland Animal Clinic who helps us know how keep our pets safe in severe weather.Also this hour: We discuss the latest court ruling regarding the Texas voter ID law. And we learn more about the complicated figure that was Sam Houston.We offer a free daily, downloadable podcast here, on iTunes, Stitcher and various other podcasting apps.
COPENHAGEN — Scandinavian Airlines says that a six-day pilot strike that led to the cancellation of 4,000 flights and affected more than 370,000 passengers cost 650 million kronor ($68 million).SAS says that the walkout, which ended May 2 when the sides reached a three-year collective bargaining agreement, “negatively impacted” its second quarter, for which it reported a 1.2-billion kronor ($125 million) loss.CEO Richard Gustafson says it “added to the challenges already faced by SAS,” which include tough competition, increasing fuel prices and a weakening Swedish currency.Gustafson said Tuesday the result for the three-month period that ended April 30, “is far from satisfying.”The strike started April 26 after talks collapsed between the airline and SAS Pilot Group, which represents 95% of the company’s pilots in Sweden, Denmark and Norway. << Previous PostNext Post >> SAS says 6 day pilot strike cost it $68 million Share By: The Associated Press Tuesday, May 28, 2019 Tags: Scandinavian Airlines