1 Christian Benteke Christian Benteke has been left out of Liverpool’s squad for their Europa League opener in Bordeaux on Thursday.The £32.5million summer signing is one of a host of senior stars left on Merseyside by Brendan Rodgers as he opts to give some of his fringe men a chance.James Milner, Nathaniel Clyne, Martin Skrtel, Dejan Lovren and Lucas Leiva are the others rested along with Benteke.With regular central defensive duo Skrtel and Lovren absent, Rodgers is set to hand Mamadou Sakho his first appearance of the season alongside Kolo Toure.Alberto Moreno, who has been kept out by Joe Gomez at left-back so far this season, is also expected to come into the side.Divock Origi is set to replace Benteke in the Liverpool attack, while midfielder Adam Lallana has returned to fitness and is also in contention.Captain Jordan Henderson will again be missing, however, having travelled to the US for treatment on an ongoing heel injury.
John Hartson has come to the defence of under-fire Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers, telling talkSPORT there isn’t a manager in the game who could cope with the run of high profile injuries and exits at Anfield.The Northern Irishman has come under heavy criticism following the Reds’ unconvincing start to the season.Liverpool currently sit 13th in the Premier League table and are without a win in six matches in all competitions after scraping through against lowly Carlisle United in the League Cup on penalties.Their recent ailing form has seen Rodgers become the bookmakers’ second favourite to be the top flight’s first managerial casualty of the season, but former striker Hartson questions how he is expected to survive amid the club’s ‘crisis’ of injuries and recently departed stars.“I do feel for Brendan,” the Welshman told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast.“He’s had a horrendous crisis with injuries. [Club captain] Jordan Henderson is out now long-term and Roberto Firmino was injured in the League Cup last night.“Daniel Sturridge has been out for a while and Christian Benteke is injured now as well.“And when you take into account the fact they had to sell the likes of Luis Suarez and Raheem Sterling, and Steven Gerrard has left the club – I don’t know a manager in the world who could cope with a crisis like that.“It really doesn’t bode well for them. Brendan wants to get all his best players out on the pitch and then he’s got a chance, but the current injury crisis doesn’t help his cause.”
Aaron Ramsey 1 Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger admits Aaron Ramsey’s injury setback could – and should – have been avoided.The Gunners midfielder faces misses up to five games after suffering a hamstring problem during the 2-0 Champions League victory over Bayern Munich on Tuesday night.Wenger believes Ramsey has been ‘overloaded’ with games in recent weeks and was not happy with Wales boss Chris Coleman’s decision to play the 24-year-old for 90 minutes against Andorra in Cardiff on October 13.But he also accepts that he too could have prevented the injury by resting Ramsey against Watford four days after he featured for his national team.“Aaron Ramsey, after international break, he has a chance to be back, so it is a three to four weeks job,” said Wenger, whose side host Everton on Saturday.“Maybe he was overloaded a little bit with games. Ideally I think not him nor [Gareth] Bale should have played against Andorra, because they were qualified, but unfortunately I could not decide that.“I was in a position after that where I thought I could rest him against Watford. In the end I didn’t do it and of course after, against Bayern, I had not much choice and we got punished.“Ideally he should have had a breather, or at Watford. Realistically, the real breather he could have had was against Andorra.”Asked if he now regretted playing Ramsey at Watford, where he scored in the final goal of a 3-0 win, Wenger said: “Yes, because he got injured.”Wenger accepts clubs are somewhat powerless to prevent international managers from deploying their players in whatever manner they deem fit.“It is a point of friction between clubs and national teams,” said the Gunners boss, who in the past has seen the likes of midfielder Jack Wilshere sidelined with problems sustained while away with England.“I understand, when it’s official games, you do not want to interfere in that because the country is important and they have to win the games.“Once they play friendlies, or games where there is nothing at stake, you think they should accommodate the clubs as well.“It is difficult because it is sometimes common sense and you cannot predict every single situation with a rule. It is more down to a good co-operation between clubs and countries that is important.”
1 Alexandre Pato Tottenham are the latest Premier League club to express an interest in signing Alexandre Pato.The former AC Milan star is being tracked by Liverpool ahead of a proposed January bid, while West Ham are also scouting the Brazilian.However, according to to Calcionews24, Spurs are now frontrunners in the chase to land the Corinthians playmaker, who is currently on loan at Sao Paolo.The report claims negotiations have already begun between the two clubs with a fee of around £8m being discussed. Tottenham’s primary target is to lure Saido Berahino away from West Brom but due to the reluctance of Baggies owner Jeremy Peace to strike a deal, the north London club have a contingency plan in place which involves Pato.
Everton manager Roberto Martinez told talkSPORT ‘there is nothing to mention’ regarding reports of £200million takeover bid, but insisted ‘the future will be very, very bright’ for the club.Speculation on Tuesday claimed an American consortium, led by Jay Moores – former owner of NLF side San Diego Padres – and entrepreneur Charles Noell – had tabled the offer following months of discussions with Toffees chairman Bill Kenwright.It could be the end of a long process from the Everton chief, who has apparently been searching for big investment in the club for the last decade.Kenwright purchased the Merseyside club from local businessman Peter Johnson for £20m in 1999 and admitted back in November 2007: “If the right person stands in front of me and wants to take this club forward, I will sell.”Martinez, a guest on Tuesday’s Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast show, was hesitant to talk about the developments when questioned, but did give his backing to Kenwright – who has faced a backlash from fans in recent months – and ‘guaranteed’ that whatever decision was made would be in the best interests of the club’s development.He told talkSPORT: “I’ve been a bit surprised that there’s been a lot of talk about this. There’s nothing to mention.“But what I could add is something that every Evertonian and fan needs to know, which is that our chairman loves Everton.“He grew up at Goodison and I don’t think you get many owners who have this attachment to a football club.“I can guarantee you that anything that is going to happen will be good for the club.“We have a chairman who I don’t think has got the credit he deserves at times, he has been running the club under very difficult circumstances.“So now I can guarantee you that, whatever is going to happen, the future will be very, very bright for Everton.“I don’t think at Everton you’ll ever see a takeover based on finances. If anything happens it will to allow the club to go to the next level, to fulfil the big projects and big aspirations we have.“At the moment all I would love if to see our chairman stay at the club for another 100 years, because nobody has the same passion and understanding of Everton as a club.”
Neighborhood activists and Councilman Jack Weiss rejected a proposal Tuesday that would make it easier for developers to cut the number of parking spaces included in new apartment and condo projects. The idea is to reduce parking requirements when developers offer tenants or buyers transit alternatives, such as van pools, bike storage, transit passes or flex cars. But Weiss and others argued that Los Angeles is no Manhattan or San Francisco or London, cities where people can easily get around without their own vehicle. Los Angeles, they said, is still a city of cars and reducing the parking requirement will just lead to more crowded curbs. “Just passing a new law like this will not make all the cars in the city go away, poof, like that,” Weiss said during a Planning and Land Use Committee hearing. “What you will do is cause folks who own cars to continue to own cars and just park farther away from where they live, and then you’re going to end up encroaching on other neighborhoods and you’re going to have more applications for preferential parking districts.” But the Planning Department and Councilman Ed Reyes said the proposal is one option to deal with two of L.A.’s most pressing problems: traffic and the lack of affordable housing. “The cost of parking for multifamily buildings is extremely high and really does minimize how much housing can be built in this city,” said City Planner Tom Rothmann, who estimates the cost of building underground parking about $25,000 per space. Allowing developers to include less parking could bring down the cost of rentals or for-sale condos, and the incentives, such as offering tenants transit passes or flex cars, could entice residents to give up their cars. “Certain council members might find this a tool, as another approach to promoting affordable housing in areas where there is higher poverty,” said Councilman Ed Reyes, who supported the proposal. But homeowners groups and some neighborhood councils opposed the idea, saying many communities are already short on private parking and curbside parking. They weren’t convinced that developers’ incentives or even building near transit will reduce the demand for cars in L.A. “Just because you live near transit doesn’t mean you’re going to take it because your job may not be near where transit goes,” said Renee Weitzer, chief of staff to Councilman Tom LaBonge, who opposed the parking proposal. She and LaBonge recently attended the grand opening of a 138-unit building next to the Universal City Red Line station. Roughly 80 percent of the building is leased, but when LaBonge asked how many people took transit to work, only one tenant raised her hand. The parking proposal now goes to the full City Council for consideration. email@example.com (213) 978-0390160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
DONEGAL’S senior ladies football team are Ulster Champions for the first time…..and YOU can help them now in their quest for All-Ireland glory.The county has had some great success at underage level this year with the U14s winning their Ulster title and reaching an All-Ireland final and the U21s winning an All-Ireland.All of this costs money of course and the ladies game isn’t exactly flowing with money – and here’s how you might be able to help out…and have fun doing it. The county Ladies Gaelic Football Association have a golf classic spectacular – with €2,000 worth of prizes up for grabs!You don’t have to be able to play golf to help out.The event takes place on August 14 at Ballybofey & Stranorlar Golf Club. Entry fee per team is €100 with some super golf gear among the prizes.There’s even plans for a BBQ on the 10th hole….well nearby at least!Anyone interested in taking part should call 074 91 31093 to book their place. If you can’t make it (or just don’t like golf!) you can sponsor a tee for as little as €100, by calling the same number.So come on Donegal – be proud, and get behind Donegal’s Ladies Football Teams.A full list of sponsors will be published on Donegal Daily. CAN YOU HELP DONEGAL’S LADIES FOOTBALLERS ACHIEVE ALL-IRELAND GLORY was last modified: July 27th, 2015 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:2015August 14Classicdonegalfundraisergolf
Micky Gray told talkSPORT that the young generation of footballers caused him to quit the game, as they believed they had made it as a star after just one match.His comments come after Raheem Sterling flaunted his wealth on social media, showing off a flash house just days after England were humiliated at Euro 2016, losing to Iceland to fall out of the competition at the Round of 16 stage.Manchester City youngster Sterling has come under scrutiny since bursting onto the scene with Liverpool, being caught allegedly smoking a shisha pipe and inhaling nitrous oxide.Taken alongside some abject performances, many believe the 21-year-old cares more about his personal life than game of football, and Gray has revealed that he quit after coming into contact with similar players.Speaking to Colin Murray, the former England international said: “I got to Sheffield Wednesday, my last club, and I saw the biggest change I’d ever seen. From being a youngster, coming through as a professional at some great clubs, I went to Sheffield Wednesday and I’d never seen anything like it in my life. It made me quit.“What I saw was youngsters coming through into the first-team, and [doing] exactly the same thing [as Sterling]. Sat in the changing room with headphones on, dancing around to his own music, in his own head, and then playing a football match.“That was it; in one game and you’ve made it.”Whilst it could just be considered a phase which modern football is going through, and that will soon end, Gray actually believes this state is only going to get worse.“It’s not the manager’s fault,” Gray added. “I just think we’re mentally weak, and the weakness comes from generation after generation – and it’s going to get worse.“If anyone thinks we’re going to get better, we’re not going to get better.”
Although Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and Assembly Speaker Fabian Nunez celebrated their health-care reform deal Monday with much mutual appreciation, it’s a bit early to be claiming victory. The Assembly approved a compromise deal that would make health insurance mandatory, affordable and within reach for virtually everyone in California, funded by an employer payroll tax, a $2 cigarette-tax increase and federal matching funds. But first there’s Don Perata to deal with; the taciturn leader of the state Senate has put the kibosh on more than one agreement between the Assembly and the governor. Perata said he wasn’t going to call the full Senate back in for a vote before the end of the year. Furthermore, he said he isn’t sold on this $14.4billion plan and will have to take a hard look at it in the context of a state budget deficit. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: Clemson demonstrates that it’s tough to knock out the champIf that’s not challenge enough, the deal also requires voter approval on the November 2008 ballot, and it relies on federal funding that may or may not materialize. Also, the use of a cigarette tax is problematic because its reliability declines as more and more people quit smoking. In addition, all of that will be moot if federal courts stick to past precedents and find the legislation faulty because employers would be forced to provide health insurance. In this case, the measure doesn’t require private employers per se to provide health insurance, but it does force them to contribute up to 6.5percent of the payroll to a state fund if they don’t. Still, there is reason to be optimistic. After months of failed negotiations, it seemed that the governor and Legislature might end the year unable to compromise on their competing reform bills. To be sure, it will face serious opposition from insurers, the California Nurses Federation, legislative Republicans and the tobacco industry. They all have legitimate concerns. But the current system is shamefully broken, leaving working families unable to afford basic health care and an uneven burden on those with insurance to pick up the cost of the millions of uninsured. This plan certainly isn’t perfect, but right now, it’s the best California has got. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!